- Root vegetables
An easy dish which can easily be prepared and left in the fridge for children, husband or other lazy cooks in the household to be cooked next day. Also great with leftovers of fish or with frozen cheaper supermarket fish (which is usually not tasty enough to be eaten plain).
London, England, UK
10 people made this
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 100ml milk
- chilli powder to taste
- salt to taste
- 4 (100g) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- plain flour, tempura flour or breadcrumbs
MethodPrep:40min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:50min
- Peel potatoes and carrots and start boiling them.
- Saute the onion in a saute pan till soft. Add the milk, chilli powder, salt and fish; cook the fish fillets thoroughy. When cooked, put the fillets in a bowl and let them cool down for a little while.
- Mash cooked vegetables, use a blender to achieve a smooth texture.
- Flake the salmon, mix with the veg mash and lemon juice.
- Form the fish cakes, then roll in the flour or breadcrumbs and fry till golden and crispy on the surface.
- Great served with green beans or asparagus and Hollandaise sauce.
You can add some garlic to the onion. Chilli is optional and can be substituted with some mixed herbs. Chopped coriander can be added to the fish cake mix.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
I added some dills and garlic. Fish cakes came out really tasty but I found incredibly hard to keep them in form.They were so fragile in the frying pan- could fall apart any second. Some ingriedent (maybe egg) must be added to keep the fish cakes harder. Or simply some flour could have been added to the mixture and then formed cakes again could have been rolled in flour. But generally fish cakes were tasty.-02 Apr 2011
These were really tasty and all the family enjoyed them. However, I have to agree that they were too delicate and using less milk whilst cooking the Salmon helped the second batch. We had ours with home-made tartar sauce and it was incredible.-09 Sep 2013