- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Birthday cake
Ever heard of a whoopie pie? They're a bit like a macaroon but with a more cake-like texture. Hugely popular Stateside, the name comes from when Amish women would put them in farmers' lunchboxes and they'd supposedly shout 'whoopie' if they found one in their box!
Denbighshire, Wales, UK
13 people made this
- 250g unsalted butter
- 220g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 250ml soured cream
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- splash of milk
- 250g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 175g icing sugar
- 2 cups Marshmallow Fluff (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:20min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line baking tray with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl (or electric mixer) cream together butter, sugar and finally the egg. In another bowl, combine cocoa, flour, bicarb and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture, add the milk, vanilla and soured cream mixture; beat until smooth.
- Put equal amounts of batter (125ml) onto the lined baking tray. Six per tray as they will spread when baking.
- Bake 10 minutes or until when pressed the sponge keeps its shape. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make filling. Add to piping bag with star shaped nozzle.
- For finishing touches, sieve 150g (5oz) icing sugar into a medium bowl and gradually add enough water to make a smooth, spreadable icing. A few drops of food colouring will give you a colourful finish. Sprinkle with your favourite sprinkles.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(4)
Reviews in English (5)
they look so cool and tast great-29 Jul 2010
You got it just right, lindsayann! These little cakes were just like some my family and I got last year in Pennsylvania Dutch country! Now I will be making these at home. Thank you.-23 Jul 2011
Turned out looking exactly like they do in the picture, a doddle to make and they tasted divine.Yummmmmmy!-18 Sep 2010