- Dish type
- Bread without yeast
- Soda bread
The flavour of fennel in this soda bread pairs perfectly with cheese, or serve it alongside cabbage and bacon soup for a delicious lunch.
40 people made this
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 400g buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 25cm round tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar and fennel seed. In another bowl, stir together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, until just blended using a large spoon. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Dot with the 3 tablespoons of chilled butter.
- Bake for about 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Slice into wedges and serve warm.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(47)
Reviews in English (40)
tasted ok but was more like a sponge cake than a soda bread....wouldnt make again.-30 Jun 2016
Wonderful! It's hard to believe it's a quick bread instead of a yeast bread. Versatile enough for almost any dish. I used nonfat buttermilk and I couldn't imagine how it could have tasted better.-19 Nov 2002